A Woman's Guide to Breast Augmentation
and Breast Implants
Find an ImplantInfo Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Near You

Mandy's Story

Breast Implants and Breast Augmentation Stories from our Visitors

If you have already read Nicole's Story, you have a pretty good idea what this section of the website is all about. After several women emailed their breast augmentation stories to us, we thought it would be great to have women share their full-length recovery stories after their breast implant surgeries for everyone's benefit. Thankfully, many women have contributed, some in more detail than others.

Here are the stories of our visitors. Many names have been changed for privacy. Where appropriate, there is detail in parentheses so you can decide if you are interested. Click on a name to read.

Contribute Your Story Here!

Love My Surgeon!

My plastic surgeon was Dr. Thomas M. DeWire

Please bear with me. This may get a bit long but I'm trying to provide as much information as possible so that pre-BA'ers will get some insight into this BA adventure.

First, a little background info. I'm 36 years old, mother of two (4 and 8), breastfed both kids, 122 pounds, 5'5" and was 34A and hoping to get up to a D. After reading so many stories about those who wished they had gone bigger, I wanted to get it right the first time (assuming that my body/skin/muscle would accommodate it).

Wed., March 10, 1999 (2 days prior to BA) -- After packing last night and all this morning, finally kissed the kids goodbye, gave the puppy a pat on the head, and gave the babysitter last minute instructions before hubby and I headed off from Ohio to Richmond, VA. Spent about 8 hours on the road and arrived at our hotel just before midnight.

Thurs., March 11 (1 day prior) -- 9:30am - Went to the hospital for pre-surgery blood work and paper work. The nurse who took my information was very pleasant and wanted to know why I came all the way from Ohio for this. I told her that after two years of research I was convinced that Dr. DeWire was the right PS. Oops, one more thing. She asked me if I would like to have any particular kind of music playing during the surgery (to relax me, I guess). I told her that I would prefer that they play whatever kind of music relaxes DeWire!! He's the one with the knife, right? Ha Ha!!!

Noon - Had lunch with a patient of DeWire's who had her BA done three months earlier. We had a very nice chat and she re-assured me that I was in good hands. After finishing the meal, we went to the restroom so that she could show me the results of DeWire's work. It was fabulous! I couldn't stop staring at the breasts. They were fantastic. Hmmmm... How many times do you get the chance to stare at someone's breasts with their full consent?

2pm - Went to DeWire's office for my official consultation. Over the past month I had already corresponded with him many times over email and he had answered virtually all of my questions. After he examined me, he took pictures, loaded them in the computer and then modified them to give me a rough idea of what I would look like, post-BA. We discussed size, shape, implant types, placement, risks, post-op recovery and exercise issues. Before I knew it, two hours had flown by and the consult was over. Hubby and I went back to the hotel to relax. Relax? In reality, I was starting to realize what I had gotten myself into and I was getting more and more nervous! My BA was scheduled for 1:30pm the next day and the clock was ticking!

7pm - Hubby and I had supper with another patient of DeWire's and her husband. Before we went out she showed me her fabulous breasts. She allowed me to touch and squeeze them. Oh my! They looked and felt perfectly natural.

My 'last' supper was very nice. The four of us had a really good time together. Of course we spent the whole evening talking about BA's and she helped put my mind at ease

Fri., March 12 (D-day!) -- Couldn't have anything to eat or drink after midnight last night. I took a shower and shaved my armpits REALLY closely in prep for the surgery (trans-axillary incision). Went to the hospital at noon but had to wait for 45 minutes before they could attend to me since they had a BUNCH of surgeries scheduled that day.

Finally they got me into a room where I could change into my gown (around 12:45pm). A nurse came in to take my temperature and blood pressure. Everything was ok so after about ten minutes they wheeled me down to another room where I saw DeWire. He drew on me with a purple pen. I asked him again if I could get up to a size D and he said that he would do his best. After he left, a whole bunch of nurses came in and started asking me questions, starting i.v.'s and everything. Then the anesthesiologist came in and asked me more questions about my medical history, etc. When it was all done he asked me if I had any last requests before they sedated me. I said, "No. Just make sure to wake me up when it's all over!" He laughed out loud and replied, "Of course, that is the most important thing!"

I was hoping to see DeWire one more time before they put me into la-la land but after they put some relaxation medication into the i.v. I couldn't remember much. All I know is that when they wheeled me into the operating room I made some comment about the operating room being so small.

The next thing I knew was that I was waking up in the recovery room in some serious pain. Pain! Burning pressure on my chest! DeWire told me that he had put in 425's filled to 475. For the next two hours I was waking up, feeling sick, eating some crackers, throwing up, sleeping, throwing up, etc. Finally around 4:50pm they let my husband come in to see me. He and the nurse helped me to get up, go to the bathroom and get changed.

My husband told me about what the doctor had told him. DeWire said that my surgery had gone very smoothly and in fact only took about 40 minutes. He said that I would definitely end up with a D.

Fortunately it was a very short trip 1 mile) from the hospital to the hotel because I just couldn't stop feeling nauseated. They had given me anti-nausea medication and a pain pill before I left the hospital but it didn't feel like it worked. From 5pm until midnight I simply sat in bed and took turns between sipping water, dozing, taking small bites of jello and throwing up. The pressure on my chest was enormous.

By midnight I was finally feeling better (stomach-wise) and decided that I would try to get by with Advil rather than the prescription pain medication (Percocet). So I took three Advils along with an antibiotic. I was able to sleep for two to three hours at a time and didn't throw up any more. What a long, rough day!

Sat., March 13 (1 day post-op) -- 9:30am - First post-op visit with DeWire. He took off the ace bandage from around my chest. It felt so good to get rid of that pressure. Then he taught me the massage/exercise techniques. My muscles were already angry with me for what I had done to them they day before. Now I had to massage them to move the implants around in their submuscular pockets. As strange as it sounds, it hurt when he first massaged them but afterwards it felt soooo good.

11:30am - Went out for lunch and supper. My shoulders were sore but I was still able to handle a fork without too much trouble.

Sun., March 14 (2 days post-op) - Muscles still tender but getting better. Spent most of the day sleeping.

Mon., March 15 (3 days post-op) - Second post-op visit with DeWire; hubby had a business meeting in DC in the afternoon so I spent most of the day napping and watching TV.

Tues., March 16 (4 days post-op) - Had a good night's sleep (finally); went to visit a friend and then went shopping

Wed., March 17 (5 days post-op) - Went to Virginia Beach and the eastern shore for the day

Thurs., March 18 (6 days post-op) - Third post-op visit with DeWire. The swelling is down considerably and things are starting to look great; I still have a lot of discomfort but no more pain; drove home in the afternoon

Let me just close by saying that I've had a very easy recovery (just like DeWire's other patients). I only had to take percoset once and have been getting by just fine on Advil only. He really is a great surgeon who is very caring and considerate.

If you have any specific questions about my experience, just let me know. Thanks!

- Mandy

Mandy is a patient of Thomas DeWire, Sr., M.D., Richmond, VA

- Mandy

Previous Story Next Story
Breast Augmentation and Breast Implants - Experiences, Journals, Stories and Advice from Our Visitors


Before and After Photos

Online Polls

Online Contests

©1998-2012 Advice Media